Sunday, February 20, 2011

Super Zs!

Families, Create! A Monthly Make and Play Carnival



It's that time again! The theme this month is heroes and heroines. My idea may be a bit cliche when it comes to it, but I think they're still cute!

I made my own pattern for an applique, putting a Z in the middle of the Superman shape. It took a while to get the size down, and a straight ruler and pencil are an absolute must.

I then traced the pattern (backward) onto Wonder Under and attached to the fabrics I was using. I originally planned to make the applique three pieces-the background, the shape outline, and the letter. However, I don't have a lot of solid fabrics or pieces that go together, so I decided to just cut out the open spaces of the applique. Here's one to show what it looked like.



I then ironed on the appliques.


I sewed them using the blind stitch on my machine-I don't have a fancy machine with an applique stitch, sadly. This was a bit tricky and required some practice. It's not easy to rip stitches out of an applique-it frays the fabric and messes up the wonder under, so practice on a scrap first!



I'm going to try to get pictures of Zboy and Zgirl in their super-shirts soon.

February brought many heroic crafts to the Families, Create! Carnival. Check out some of the wonderful posts from last month's participants below, and be sure to visit Code Name: Mama and Living Peacefully with Children to find out how you can participate in the next Families, Create! Carnival.



Visit Code Name: Mama and Living Peacefully with Children to find out how you can participate in the next Families, Create! Carnival. Our March theme is "Animals" - what animals are your favorites and why? Get creative and share with us how animals are a part of your and your children's lives.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet they love them.

Dionna @ Code Name: Mama said...

What a cute idea!! I did a K for Kieran, but didn't even think about putting it in the little Superman shape.

Unknown said...

WOW! These are amazingly professional and seriously a-dor-a-ble! Well done, Mama! And for the record: Cliches are wonderful for a reason- what's not to love about 'em? :)

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com