Friday, June 17, 2011

Fussy cut applique

How to do a fussy cut applique
(onto a knit fabric)
Cut out your piece, and apply some fusible webbing (like wonder under). I left a tiny bit of white around. You can do this, or just cut it out completely. Iron onto your fabric. I was aiming for a logo type look (like Le Tigre)

Tip #1-When appliqueing onto a knit fabric, put interfacing on the back of it! I forgot this all important step, and ended up with a satin stitch mess that took forever to rip out. You could also use tear away stabilizer, or a piece of tracing/tissue paper underneath. I ended up using some lightweight interfacing and tracing paper.


Tip #2-Practice on a scrap piece first so you can figure out where you want your stitches to lay. I got halfway through and realized, hey, this would look so much better here-so again, I had to rip out a bunch of stitches.

It's still not perfect, but this is a pretty small piece to work with. I added the spout detail with the triple stitch on my machine. It didn't work as well as I hoped on the stretchy knit, but you don't notice unless it's close up like this picture!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com